I normally get annoyed with recipes that claim they’re so easy and then it still takes a ton of legwork and extra steps to actually make it. But this time, when I say easy, I mean it’s seriously simple because the recipe calls for a pizza dough crust in lieu of the standard flaky crust you’d use in a quiche.
We are headed to a Father’s Day brunch at Eric’s parents’ home to celebrate the guys and we decided to bring an asparagus quiche (perhaps a certain someone was craving asparagus?). I found this recipe and decided to give it a go. I found the directions to be a bit hard to understand, albeit the ingredients are clear, so I’ll sum up our process in the photos below. I also omitted the bacon simply because I forgot to grab some at the grocery.
- asparagus spears, trimmed and halved lengthwise
- 2 cup
grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons
dried basil, crushed
- 10 ounces
refrigerated pizza dough
medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1/8 teaspoon
- all-purpose flour
- Set a pot of water to boil and pre-heat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Grease a springform pan with shortening or cooking spray.
- Sprinkle 1/2 c cheese, a bit of flour and basil on a flat surface. Roll the pizza dough flat over top, then flip the dough over and repeat.
- Combine milk, eggs, salt in a bowl and set aside. Have the remaining cheese nearby to combine with the egg mixture just before pouring it into the cooked dough.
- Press the cheesed/basil-ed pizza dough into the springform, forming an edge about 2″ high up the sides. Place heavy duty (or two sheets regular) foil over top and press into the dough to avoid air bubbles from forming. Place into the preheated oven for 10 minutes.
- Once the 10 minutes are up, remove the foil cooked pizza dough and place back in the oven for 5 minutes. Once done, turn the oven down to 350 degrees.
- Toss the trimmed asparagus into the boiling water. Fill a basin with cold water and throw a few ice cubes in. Once asparagus has turned bright green strain and place the spears into the ice bath to prevent it from any further cooking. (Mushy asparagus is not welcome in our kitchen.)
- After the 5 mins are up, fill the cooked dough with the egg mixture (with the extra 1 1/2 cups of cheese added).
- Place in the 350 degree oven for 35-40 minutes, or until egg mixture has cooked in the pan. Let cool room temp for 10 minutes, remove the springform sides and serve.
leave one here